Monday, February 16, 2015

FOLIO Tool 1: Switch

Use of Adjectives 

Throughout this blog post, I'll use random adjectives to help guide the thinking directed by the nine tools. Here's a post about generating a list of adjectives: How to create a list of adjectives quickly.

Tool 1: Switch

The purpose of Switch is to deliberately switch my thinking when I'm thinking about a subject. There are two types of switch, on-topic and off-topic:

On-topic Switch

For an on-topic switch I'll switch my thinking, but stay on the topic. I'm currently thinking about the chosen topic reading books. So an on-topic Switch could be:

Could I get a Kindle?
I could go through my books and sort them out.
I could read more non-fiction.
I could dig out a book right now and read.
I could visit the library.
etc.

Using Random Adjectives, and a Format for an On-topic Switch

(I'll stay on the chosen topic reading books) To do an on-topic switch with an adjective, I pick a  random adjective and use it as a trigger to generate an on-topic switch  that has the characteristic suggested by the adjective. The format is thus:

Make X Switch

Then I choose a random adjective. In this case: historic

I put my random adjective - historic - in the place of the "X" which gives:
 
Make historic switch:

And I ask myself: "What would a historic switch be?" I'll try to interpret that in a few ways to generate the following thinking switches:

Could I read some of the classics?
Could I make a list of the books I enjoyed as a child and pass them on to my children?
What are the all-time best sellers?

More Examples of On-topic Switches:

Make introspective switch: Could I focus on the way I read? (Learn speed reading, etc.)
Make illegal switch: What books have been banned in the past or have been controversial? Could I read them?
Make wise switch: Think about what makes a wise reader. What should my reading priorities be?
Make morbid switch: Have any books been written with a ouija board?
Make specky switch: Do I need to get new glasses?
Make dead switch: What books could I add to my bucket list as possible reads?

Off-topic Switch

For an off-topic switch I'll switch my thinking completely away from the current topic. So, with the topic "reading books" I could end up with something like:

Have some food.
Watch telly.
Go for a run. 

Using Random Adjectives, and a Format for an Off-topic Switch

This is constructed in the same way as the on-topic Switch: I'll pick a random adjective and use it as a trigger to generate an off-topic switch that has the characteristic suggested by the adjective. The format is the same:

Make X Switch.

Then I choose a random adjective: funny.

I put the random adjective - funny - in the place of the "X" which gives:

Make funny switch

and I ask myself "What would a funny switch be?" I'll interpret it in a few ways:

Watch some funny vids on YouTube.
Read some jokes.
Write some jokes.

More Examples of Off-topic Switches:

Make deep switch: Go swimming
Make dear switch: Go shopping
Make clear switch: Tidy out the shed.
Make frightening switch: Do a bungee jump.
Make penitent switch: List mistakes I've made that I regret.

Switching Back to the Topic from an Off-topic Switch

I can utilise an off-topic switch I've generated to see how it could help the original topic (reading books, in this case):

Go swimming: Would help me to read books because I'd be fit and refreshed.
Go shopping: I could go in a book shop.
Tidy out the shed: I could find somewhere to store my books.

No comments: